26.1.23

J.J. Leitz GmbH Zero Point Five Pinot Noir Alcohol Free


No Dry January, nor some sort of Damp January Drinking Scheme – whatever that might mean – can make me try wine... umm let's say a beverage like the following one. Only altruistic „venturism“ or just silly curiosity – sober curiosity in this case - has such a confusing impact on me! Throughout my dauntless “drinking career” I was brave enough to tried a very few alcohol free wines. All of them were disturbingly sweet, as flat as Salar de Uyuni and as intellectually challenging as the movie Frogs from 1972. Today's wine was produced by the highly solid Riesling producer J. J. Leitz from Rheingau region aaaand more importantly it is goinig to be my very first alcohol free Pinot Noir! Let's hope this is going to be a bit more entertaining ...

The Zero-Pount-Five's colour showed radiant ruby reflexes - a bit dark and sluggish - and quite a bit of sleepy bubbles. In the nose I got razzy marmalade, crushed rose hips, linseed and a hint of smoke. Overall quite a boiled character. Perhaps accompanied by one or two imagined ladybugs. Unfortunately quite muffled as well. Reminded me of cheap Kiwi supermarket Pinots from Marlborough. At least it kinda smelled like Pinot! On the palate: acid - plenty - apple vinegar style. It's body was straight out flat. Showed … at best … only very very shy resemblances of structure. No depth at all! Very fruit driven and super soft, besides the already mentioned acid punch of course! Rich raspberries - luckily not that boiled, traces of kids cough syrup, cooler bramble and unlike the nose absolutely no rose-hip at all. Super short! Zero subtle! Not really sappy either. At least mostly dry sensation! To me it was a complicated dealcoholized techno fruit juice without appeal. Maybe the best alcohol free wine of my life … at least it smelled like Pinot. Having said that, I had far more convincing grape juices from Merlot or Muscatel in my life! Sorry to say: Absolutely no alternative to real Pinot Noir! Unfortunately!

No comments: