19.4.08

Muito Obrigado Portugal! Calheiros Cruz Douro Reserva 2002

This red blend was one of the best wines I had in the past 6 months. It consisted of Touriga Nacional and Tinta Roriz. About two years ago it had a predominant taste of spaghetti water, which impressed me for some strange reason. But now it show aromas of dark chocolate, a hint of coconut and a quite strong bramble taste. It was very dense and complex. The rather strong wood, which is normaly not my thing, appeared to be very sublime and gentle. This resulted in a very well balanced composition. The smell showed typical fruity Tinta Roriz scents, which can be very suprising for such a heavy wine when you have it the first time. The best of all was its price. It just cost ridiculous 12 to 15 Euro. I am glad to have another two bottles in my cellar.


No comments: